Thursday, February 18, 2010

THE PF CHANGS MARATHON!

Are you kidding me! I ran a stinking marathon! It was nuts! Definitely something that I will never forget! it hurt but sooooooo worth it! The night before the race we went to the Runner Expo and I LOVED IT! Everything that had to do with running was there, my kind of heaven.
The morning of the race, nerves started getting to me , luckily my family was there at the start line to calm me down!
Standing in the middle of 6,000 people at the start, the gun fired and we were off! For the first 10 miles, I was averaging a 7:50 min/mile pace talking to the runners that were around me...seriously so much fun! I slowed down to 8:06 min mile and held that until mile 20 and WHAAAAM! I hit a BIG wall at mile 20! I saw Nate at the mile marker and just started to cry, I had been running for 3 hours and knew that I still had another hour to go! My feet were hurting because I had developed knots on the tops of my feet, and my hamstrings were cramping like crazy, but knowing that if I stopped my body would instantly cramp and I wouldnt be able to finish. I slowed waaaay down to 9 min mile. When I saw the finish line and all my wonderful friends and family cheering me on it was the most incredible feeling! I finished in 3 hrs and 52 min.
One thing that I didnt know about my body was that once it has been running for a long period of time, and then it comes racing to a dead stop, i get nausous and queezy and everything that I ate that day and the day before came spewing out! The entire rest of the day I felt MISERABLE! But I do have to say that it was well worth it. I cant wait until that next marathon!
Since my brother is still out on his mission, I made a video for him with all the pics that I took from the marathon and Nate surprised me and put it on youtube! SO enjoy. If you go to www.youtube.com and type in Tashina Birch it will pull up. Sorry these pics are out of order!






12 comments:

Kandis said...

INSANE! I am so impressed. Never in my life could I imagine running 26 miles!!!

Cec said...

Way to go girl!

Angie said...

Wow! So amazing! I'm going to start up running again, really! Reading all the feelings you felt really made me miss the glory days of running in high school. My mom is signed up to run a marathon in the next 9 months and seeing her feel so good makes me feel envious!

Calyn said...

Congrats! That is such a great accomplishment! Hope you guys are doing well!

Adria said...

you totally amaze me! you rocked that marathon!!! it was wonderful to watch you complete something you have always wanted to do!! love you!

K.C. + Sherry Layton said...

WOW tashina!!!! You are super woman! i am sooo proud of you doing a full marathon! and in 3hr and 52 mins! way to go! i really miss running right now, being 30wks prego not so easy! are you still at epic?

Heather said...

AMAZING!!! I am very impressed. You encourage me to do better and acheive my goals, so thank you!

Taylor and Amanda Lines said...

wow you go girl, you are AWESOME!!! i cant wait to start running! you inspire me, especially from when you started at earls! i know i can do it! :]

Rachel said...

Congrats on such a great run! Your dedication is very inspiring to me. I ran the St. George marathon a couple of years ago, but was definitely not as hard core as you were. It took me nearly 5 hours. My body has never hurt so bad but it is one of my greatest accomplishments.

Richard and Tiffany said...

WOW Tashina that is amazing!!! Someday I might try something like that, most I have ever done is a 10K and I almost died. :) Hey can I get your address for my baby shower? I am having it next Saturday from 11-1 at my mom's house. Thanks!

Criscell said...

WOW!!! I'm SO IMPRESSED! You go, girl! I don't think I could EVER do that. What a great accomplishment. Hey, thanks again SOOO much for letting Caleb stay with you those times when he had a rotation out your way. You guys are so great. We owe you one!

dani said...

you are freakin' amazing! holy cow!! miss you guys. :)