Sunday, July 31, 2011

Brevik's BIRTHday!

July 15th was the day that our little boy decided to join us! It all started the night before around 11:30pm, Nate and I were up late talking and hanging out, I had just hopped out of the bathtub and decided to run into the kitchen to eat some delicious chips and salsa. I went into the pantry to grab the bag of chips and before I had even put it into my mouth, my water broke all over the kitchen floor! Craziest feeling! At first I doubted it and tried to convince myself that I had just peed my pants (its not like that would've been far fetched), the longer I stood there thinking about it the more I knew that it was my water. I yelled for Nate to come, looking at me with confusion standing a puddle of water, he asked me what happened. I explained to him that I didnt pee my pants and that we needed to go to the hospital. He kinda looked at me, eyes glazed over, and said "I need to vacuum the house." What!?!? What a funny man..you could tell he was nervous and wanted everything to be perfect with the house. I just started to laugh, and told him that I would start the dishwasher and switch the clothes in the washer to the dryer, and load my bag in the car. I didn't have any contractions, so we were able to take a little bit of time to take a shower and tie up any loose ends before heading off to the hospital.

1:30 am - admitted into Banner Gateway Labor and Delivery. Still no contractions
4:00 am - started on pitocin
8:00 am - Dr. Layton came to check on me...3cm 70% effaced.
2:00 pm - Dr. came to check again. Still hadn't dilated. Told the nurses to up to 24, which was the most that he wanted to give me.
Started to feel pretty strong contractions.
2:30 pm - Epidural :) Dr. came to check again...still did not dilate!!! He pulled me off of all the medicine and ordered everyone out so that I could sleep and give my body a chance to dilate on its own.
3:30 pm - Nurse come in to check me...I went from a 3 to an 8 in about an hour!
3:35 pm - I am now 10cm and 100% effaced. The Dr. is called (he was at home preparing to go on his family vacation).
4:00 pm - started pushing, pushing every 4 contractions.
5:00 pm - DR. ARRIVES!
5:22 pm - Baby Brevik enters the world and we finally get to meet him! The spirit in the room has never been so strong.

I felt maybe a total of 15 minutes of pain!! I thought it was a great labor and delivery!
And ever since then...Nate and I have been madly in love with our son...all the crying,pooping, and peeing. We love being parents! Words cannot describe how blessed we feel to have him in our lives...this experience was truly magical!
Brevik Dean Birch
July 15,2011
6lbs 9oz, 20 inches long

Meeting dad for the first time!

Meeting mom for the first time!

3 comments:

Calyn said...

Congratulation! He is so precious. It really is the greatest thing in the world to have a baby! So glad everything went so well!

Adria said...

That is my fav pic! I hope you frame it in your house because it's seriously so beautiful!! So happy everything went well and that your little man is here!

PS have I told you how happy I am you are updating your blog so often? :)

The Herberts said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!! We are SO happy for you! What a cute name! He is absolutely precious and the two of you will make wonderful parents! Love you guys!